Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Holistic Dental Advice to Live By this Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is almost here – trust us, we already have our eating shoes on. The pies, the slow-cooked turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauces… we’re ready to indulge. Of course, let’s not forget the football and time off from work. However, as a holistic dentist I wanted to have you enter your Thanksgiving vacation with a few bits of helpful advice regarding all of the food as our office will be closed in case an emergency arises.

Meal Consumption

A very large majority of us can really pack down the food on Thanksgiving. Some of us even skip lunch to prepare for the barrage of food. We know it’s extremely tough to do, but you should seriously consider eating an appropriate portion of food instead of overloading. If you have to loosen your belt at all, then there’s a good chance you ate too much.

Quick tip: Spread it all out. It helps to grab a little of everything offered and only grab what you know you can eat. It’s very easy to fall into the “my eyes are larger than my stomach trap”. It also helps to eat breakfast + lunch so you are not starving for dinner.

Watch for Bones

It’s obvious information, but reminders never hurt. That turkey you’re consuming was probably slow roasting for several hours to give it the flavor you expect. After the turkey is prepared and cooked, it has to be cut. The person cutting the meat may accidentally slice into the bone during the cut, or loose bones may be lingering around. Just be sure chew your food carefully and make sure you are aware of any bones.  

Get a Workout In

Most of us probably are not going in to work the day after Thanksgiving. Utilize this time off productively. Whether you overate or not, you should try your best to sneak in a workout. Start your New Year’s Resolution early, plus you’ll feel great about yourself. Take a family member or friend with you – this gives you more time to spend with them.

Above all, enjoy the time you have with your friends and family. Happy Thanksgiving from the team here at Centers for Healing!

Images provided by the Thanksgiving Gallery.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Facing the Facts: Mercury Fillings Are Dangerous

You may or may not know, but our practice believes in dentistry that reveals the facts upfront. This is why we always inform our patients of the potential dangers of mercury in the mouth. Mercury is contained in amalgam fillings that many patients are currently sporting most likely due because they were not properly informed of beforehand. They were probably notified that amalgam fillings (also called silver fillings) were the cheapest option, triggering a purchase. We don’t offer these types of dental fillings to our patients, but we do remove amalgam fillings. Here’s why.

Amalgam Fillings Pose Dangers

For starters, amalgam fillings are typically made up of around 50% mercury. This is a considerable amount.

The harm comes from the fact that mercury vapors are being released at a very slow, but constant rate inside of your mouth. Mercury vapor is what patients should be aware of. All the way back in 1991, the World Health Organization released a statement which said that any level of mercury vapor is considered harmful. There is no safe level of mercury vapor.

Mercury Vapor…  So What?

Our body can absorb vapors. When the mercury vapors are released, our lungs subsequently inhale them. Our nose also inhales a small portion of the mercury vapors. Over time, these vapors begin to take a toll on our body in a number of different ways. The list is too long to post here, but a brief summary of the harm can be found from various sources.

Stay Educated

Some may claim we’re using “scare tactics” to get our point across, but as a holistic dentist in Newbury Park, it is my duty to inform patients that mercury is indeed dangerous. It’s not something made up, but rather is a topic that has been extensively studied on – with peer reviewed scientific facts that all point to the same conclusion: mercury is dangerous.

The FDA may tell you otherwise, stating that mercury vapor levels are too low to be considered dangerous – ignorant of the facts that have been found both domestically and abroad.

Educate Yourself. Stay Informed. Be Smart.

FDA's Position on Amalgam

Dr. Oz Chimes In